As the country’s only full-scale, proven contract vehicle assembler (fourth largest in the world), AM General offers end-to-end services for OEMs worldwide at its innovative, state-of-the-art, stand-alone Commercial Assembly Plant (CAP) that is outfitted with an industry leading body shop, paint shop, general assembly areas and administrative spaces. In operation since 2002, the 675,000 square-foot plant utilizes the SAP Vehicle Management System and lean assembly principles inspired by the Toyota Production System. The CAP is registered to industry leading ISO 16949:2009 standards and has a capacity to manufacture up to 73,000 vehicles, of various types and configurations per year.
Commercial Vehicle Contract Manufacturing
AM General has the only proven, full-scale contract assembly facility in the United States and is the ideal partner for outsourced contract assembly of vehicles in North America.
- Singular capability for full-service contract vehicle assembly with existing production facilities, workforce, manufacturing and process engineering.
- A skilled workforce, strong community support and stable ownership.
- More than 50 years’ experience assembling over 1.5 million vehicles ranging from the HUMMER H1 and H2, Ford Transit Connect Electric and MV-1 paratransit vehicle and the Mercedes-Benz R-Class to the HMMWVs and Light Tactical Vehicles for U.S. and international military customers.
- Proven competencies in contract assembly for customers with the highest expectations for quality, consistency, responsiveness, cost control and close collaboration.
- A great U.S. Midwest location: Our commercial assembly plant, supply and logistics center, testing and training facility and corporate headquarters all are located in the area of South Bend, Indiana, a community and state that are stable, business-friendly and convenient to major highway, rail and Great Lakes shipping.
Contract assembly through AM General offers significant advantages in lower cost, reduced risk and faster time to market for U.S. and overseas OEMs.
- Out-sourcing contract assembly is the most efficient and economical way to establish or expand production capacity for the North American market. Our state-of-the-art commercial assembly plant with certified paint shop, wastewater treatment and other features can save our OEM partners one to two years of production time and hundreds of millions of dollars.
- In operation since 2002, the 675,000 square-foot plant utilizes the SAP Vehicle Management System; lean assembly principles inspired by the Toyota Production System; is registered to ISO 16949:2009 standards and has a capacity of up to 73,000 vehicles per year.
- Our ready workforce means that our OEM partners eliminate their workforce obligations or other legacy costs.
- AM General can provide a full spectrum of support in contract manufacturing to include design, manufacturing and process engineering; flexible production scheduling; workforce rotation; integrated quality management; and supply chain management, procurement, full on assembly, shipping, etc.
- As needed, complete support for the 20-year life cycle of vehicles, with SAP linkage from assembly plant to our partner’s retail outlets. AM General has experience and infrastructure to offer purchasing and supply chain management; parts and kits; dealer communications; customer satisfaction index (CSI) tracking; warranty administration; TREAD Act and other government reporting; service and owner’s manuals, technical training and other services to interested commercial assembly partners.
- AM General’s contract assembly capabilities are perfect for excess and carryover volume, specialty vehicle runs, rapid and flexible ramp-up of vehicle production and other unique situations faced by OEMs in managing their US-based production capabilities.
- AM General’s Commercial Assembly Plant also can be used by major manufacturers for trucks; emerging, low volume and specialty models, or for managing the build-out of aging vehicle models.
Current Commercial Programs
Mobility Ventures / MV-1
Mobility Ventures LLC, designer and manufacturer of the acclaimed MV-1, is the only American made vehicle specifically engineered from the ground up in support of wheelchair users and people with disabilities.
The MV-1 is redefining accessible transportation with a built-in side-entry power ramp, ample head room and seating for up to five which includes the ability to safely accommodate two wheelchair users at a time—one of whom rides in the front and the other in the spacious passenger area—making it the perfect solution for consumers, commercial use and government fleets. And at Mobility Ventures, safety comes first. The MV-1 safety record is unmatched by any wheelchair accessible vehicle, based on federal NHTSA safety recall data for aftermarket conversion vans. Additionally, the MV-1 meets all Buy America requirements. Mobility Ventures LLC is a subsidiary of AM General.
In January, 2015, AM General and Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc., announced that Mercedes-Benz had selected AM General to manufacture the Mercedes-Benz R-Class luxury vehicle at AM General’s world-class 675,000 square-foot Commercial Assembly Plant. Because of increasing demand for its Sport Utility Vehicles and the need for greater production capacity in the U.S, Mercedes-Benz moved its production of the R-Class from its Tuscaloosa, Alabama plant to AM General’s Commercial Assembly Plant.
Under the multi-year agreement, AM General is now Mercedes-Benz’s first and only contract manufacturing operator in the U.S.
General Engine Products (GEP)
As a wholly owned subsidiary of AM General, GEP produces the OPTIMIZER 6500 V-8 diesel engine at its 92,000-square-foot Franklin, Ohio assembly plant. This engine can be found in new HMMWVs, as a service replacement engine for numerous vehicles and in marine applications.
The engine facility went into operation in July 2000. The 6.5-liter engine had been built for many years by General Motors at their Moraine Engine Plant. With GM’s technical support, AM General developed the new facility and made numerous improvements to this already reliable power plant.
Besides supplying the engine to AM General as the basic power plant for the military HMMWV GEP sells the engine to the General Motors Service Parts Organization as a service replacement engine. GEP also supplies the engine to the military as a service engine for existing HMMWVs. Recently the Optimizer 6500 has been used in marine applications.
In 2014 GEP began assembling the 4L80/85 transmission which is used in HMMWVs as a partner to the 6.5 liter engine. With numerous power train requirements throughout the world, GEP is well positioned for sales into many markets and capable of rapid expansion to handle growth in sales.